Tuesday, July 20, 2010

What has he EVER done?

I'm sorry...I know it is baseball season and I've been focusing on basketball, but the Cubs stink and I'm a Bulls season ticket holder AND this was the biggest free agency period in the history of pro sports! Now that the Bulls are solidifying their roster with good, young talent (I like Brewer and CJ Watson!), I want to turn back to baseball.

I was at the Cubs game on Sun night (I have partial season tickets for them too) and they actually played pretty well taking 3 of 4 from the defending NL champion Phillies. They put up some runs and Gorzelany had a solid pitching performance to make it hold up. We won't talk about the shellacking they took from the mighty Astros the next night though...I want to talk about what I heard on the WGN post-game show. They were talking about Tom Ricketts and whether Hendry would be around next year. You all know how I feel about Hendry...arguably the worst GM in the history of sports - has anyone spent more money over the last 7 years without even ONE playoff game win? NOPE!

Anyway, the conversation led to talk about the replacement for Lou and what to do with the coaching staff and THAT is when I nearly lost it. Yes, of course, they're going to keep Rudy Jamarillo since they're paying him $800K per year and I'm actually OK with that. But the guy on WGN went on to say that keeping Larry Rothschild should be a requirement for the next manager. I have one word in response to that thought...WHY?!?!? I just don't understand why people like this guy. What has he EVER done? Has he ever coached anyone that won the Cy Young? NOPE! Has he ever helped develop a young arm from the farm system into an elite pitcher? NOPE! Has he ever coached a guy that tore up his arm? YEP! Has he ever taken an awesome young talent and NOT developed them into great pitchers? YEP! Here are a few names to digest - Kerry Wood, Mark Prior, and Carlos Zambrano. Has he ever turned around anyone's career after struggling elsewhere? NOPE! While Dave Duncan in St. Louis turns no-names into Cy Young candidates, Larry takes Cy Young candidates and turns them into no-names. Am I missing something? WHY would George Ofman say Larry must stay? I just don't get it!

No comments:

Post a Comment